One of my sisters introduced me to coconut oil a few years back and then I went crazy with it. I’m convinced you can pretty much use it for everything. I use it the way the dad uses Windex on My Big Fat Greek Wedding. “Oh, you have a zit? Put some coconut oil on it!” or “You have a rash on your leg? Have you tried coconut oil?” Yes, it is awesome. Here are 12 of my favorite ways to use coconut oil. Comment down below if you have a favorite that isn’t listed.
- Face Primer – Take a small amount of coconut oil in your hands and rub it together to melt it. Gently pat it into your face and let it set for a couple minutes. Now apply your foundation. Your face will look smoother and healthier in a matter of minutes!
- Highlighter – Use very small amount to highlight the high points of your face. Across the cheek bones, down the nose, cupids bow. It looks natural and lovely.
- Lip Balm/Lip Gloss- This works better as a lip gloss than a lip balm. Decant it into a small container and you can throw it into your purse and take it on the go.
- Makeup Remover – Use coconut oil to remove even the toughest water-proof makeup. Massage it into your skin to breakdown the makeup then remove using cotton rounds or a warm damp washcloth.
- Body Moisturizer – You can literally use this to moisturize your whole body. Face, hands, arms, legs- it works on everything!
- Facial Massage Oil – I love using coconut oil for face massages. It prevents any tugging or pulling on the skin and it has great anti-bacterial properties. (As a side note, facial massage is a great way to detoxify the skin and it also helps fight the signs of aging.)
- Eyelash Enhancer – I discovered this tip by chance. Once upon a time I accidentally cut off my eyelashes on one eye with my eyelash curler. (Oops!) They were growing back pretty sparse and I was really sad. Then I started using coconut oil for my face massages and it was getting in my eyelashes. After a few weeks I noticed my lashes were longer and thicker on both eyes, not just the one I lopped off the lashes on. Then I was super happy. The end.
- Cuticle Oil – Have dry cuticles? No more! Massage coconut oil into your cuticles after a manicure for quick relief.
- Brush Cleaner – I did a post on using coconut oil to clean your makeup brushes. Find that here: How I Clean My Makeup Brushes
- Sugar Scrub – Mix half a cup of melted coconut oil with half a cup of sugar. You can also add some essential oils if you’d like. Use this in the shower to exfoliate as well as condition your skin. You can also make this in a smaller batch and use it as a lip scrub.
- Leave in Conditioner/Frizz Tamer – Use coconut oil to smooth your locks and help them shine. Rub a small amount through the mid-lengths and ends of your hair. Avoid going too close to the roots. You don’t want it to look like you have greasy hair!
- Acne Treatment – Having breakouts can make you feel very self-conscious. I went through all of my teenage years with barely a pimple. Now that I’m in my 20’s, it’s like zit city over here. When I’m having bad breakouts, I skip the regular moisturizer and use coconut oil. I think it may have something to do with the anti-bacterial properties but it helps to clear it up quite a bit.
And those are a few awesome ways to use coconut oil! As always have a great week. I’ll talk to you soon!